Monday, January 11, 2010

Adventures in Vegan Baking part 2

So after a very good start with the red velvet vegan cupcakes from the babycakes cookbook ( aside from a less than stellar cream cheese (soy) cherry icing, too runny because I actually bought the vegan sour cream rather than the thicker cream cheese. Tasted really good but ran way too much), I decided to give the vanilla cupcakes a shot. The cupcakes themselves just came out of the oven a few minutes ago, I made 24 minis and 12 regular sized, tasted them sans icing and they are ok. Because all the oil is coconut oil in this baking everything has a coconut taste, to me this is ok because I like that flavour but it is distinct. I did not add the lemon zest it called for because we had no lemons so it was omitted but everything else was as called for. A more stable cake for sure than the red velvet, less crumbly and a little heartier. The icing has turned out to be a bit trickier because again it calls for coconut oil, as coconut oil cools it turns into a solid so in the mixer did not emulsify well but I noticed this quickly and changed it to the food processor and saved the icing. Unfortunately the icing takes 6 hrs to chill and get thick, I am hoping that by having it in the freezer and just mixing it around now and then I can cut that time so we can have the cupcakes for dessert. The recipe does make a lot of frosting so I am sure I can get more than one batch of cupcakes out of it. I did substitute the soy milk powder with coconut milk powder for a nicer flavour, although more expensive coconut milk powder is much tastier! I am really enjoying trying these recipes, they are almost all gluten free, all vegan, all bad fat free and processed sugar free which I LOVE! I am sure I will get the hang of things now that I have more confidence with this book, understanding what does what in the recipe and realizing that if the batter is runnier than a regular batter it is ok. I am sure the boys will love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment