Tuesday, January 5, 2010

baking vegan style

I discovered a New York City secret some time ago that secret was Babycakes! Not living in New York makes it impossible to actually procure these vegan delights but they brought out a cookbook and this was gifted to me at Christmas. Today I decided to try my hand after stocking up at the grocery store on needed items over the last two weeks. Todays attempt was Red Velvet Cupcakes...the batter was interesting to make without egg, butter or milk, I was truly skeptical! After putting the batter in my new silicone cupcake pans (again another gift) I discovered it tasted delicious! I am now looking at the baked cupcakes and although the tops feel somewhat they look beautiful. I think I might forego the recipe book's frosting in favour of a soy cream cheese made up one as their vanilla frosting requires 6 hrs of cooling and these cupcakes are meant for tonight's dessert. I also opted not to use food colouring as i did not have a natural source readily but the natural raw cacoa I used did turn them a nice red tone. I am actually excited to have the boys try these as they have no processed products in them at all.


EDIT* i had one cupcake that had sunk too much to fix with frosting so I tried it out and the cake is super moist, a great cake texture, rich as all get out! Has a slight coconutty flavour because coconut oil is used instead of butter but the richness is amazing for something completely vegan! YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment