Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Toxic Beauty, the Ugly Truth

It is no secret that I work in one of the most toxic industries and also the most loved industries by women. Women who will spend countless dollars and hours basking in...the beauty industry. I have a salon, in my home no less where my children, my husband and I are exposed to everything that I do there 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Every colour I use, every spray and gel I use the fumes are inhaled by myself, my clients and my family. So, why would I expose my family to these toxins? Well, I don't! Years ago I became aware of the toxicity in my environment and decided that for my own health and that of everyone around me I needed to make a change and I turned my salon into a green, eco-conscious, vegan salon. From the products I wash your hair with to the colour, to the washing of the towels, cleaning and electricity I use I am green! I am proud to be green! I am proud to be toxin free! I also feel better, look better and have better health than 5 years ago when I was using the regular hair salon products. I also changed my entire household to match from the food we eat to how we clean, medicate and put on our bodies we are cautious. I have become and obsessive label reader, an obsessive web searcher and completely reliant upon The Skin Deep Cosmetic database. I long ago memorized the list I am about to give you to keep these toxins out of your beauty care products. Here are the whats and whys to buying your beauty products...it is going to get ugly!

This is a list of the bad in beauty care.
Phthatale family or di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP) and di(2-ehtylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP)

Can result in: endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCS) and carcinogen linked to birth defects; premature breast developments; lowered sperm counts; testicular injury; damage to reproductive organs; lung, liver and kidney cancer

Why used: makes plastic soft and malleable.

Found in: nail polish, hair-straighteners and sprays, body lotions, and deodorants.

Banned in: Europe

Lauryl sulfate(SLS), Sodium laureth sulfate(SLES)

Can result in: suspected carcinogen linked kidney and liver damage; nervous system disruption; damage to eyes leading to cataracts; eczema and dermatitis, known to inflame skin layers.

Why used: foaming agent and emulsifier.

Found in: toothpaste, shampoo, bath salts, body and shower gels.

Banned in: Europe and Central America

Paraben preservatives or alkyl-p-hydroxybenzoates (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl)

Can result in: hormone disrupter, estrogenic (mimics natural estrogens that leads to cancer); linked to breast cancer; skin rashes.

Why used: germicide and preservative.

Found in: conditioners, hair styling gels, nail creams, foundations, concealers, mascara, facial masks, skin creams, and deodorants, sunscreen, hair-colouring.

Banned in: Japan and Sweden. Under review in the UK.

Formaldehyde family or Diazolidinyl urea, 3-diol Imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM Hydantoin , Quaternium-15, Nitropropane-1, Formalin , Methanal , Methyl aldehyde, Methylene oxide, Morbicid acid, Oxymethylene

Can result in: carcinogen, causes allergic reactions and contact dermatitis; headaches; irritates mucous membranes; damaging to eyes; linked to joint and chest pain; depression; headaches; fatigue; dizziness and immune dysfunction.

Why used: disinfectant, germicide, fungicide, defoamer and preservative, cheap and mixes easily with water.

Found in: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, liquid antiseptic hand wash, skin lotions, bubble bath, hair care products, antiperspirants, nail polishes, talcs; mascara, mouthwash, make-up remover.

Banned in: Europe

Amine family Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), amonoethanolamine (MEA)

Can result in: hormone disrupter; carcinogen linked to liver and kidney cancer; irritant to hair and skin; corrosive to eyes; causes contact dermatitis; react with other chemicals to form carcinogenic nitrosamines.

Why used: emulsifier, pH adjuster, and preservative, foaming agent added to coconut oils.

Found in: shampoos, soaps, hairsprays, sunscreens, foundations, concealers, eyeliner, talc, face powders, shaving creams, hair colouring products (women and men), hair sprays.

Banned in: Currently under review in the USA, UK and Europe

Propylene / Butylene Glycol (PG)

Side Effect: linked to possible brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities respiratory and throat irritation, central nervous system depression, pulmonary oedema, brain damage, hypoglycaemia, skin rashes and dermatitis, neuro-toxin that weakens protein and cellular structure.

Why: cheap substitute for glycerine, humectant (retains moisture).

Found in: deodorants, body lotions, body washes, hair conditioner, hair gel, creams, hand-wipes, lipsticks.

Banned in: Europe


So you might ask well what can I use? Well I make my own body butter with essential oils for fragrance with coconut oil, which is antifungal, antibacterial naturally ( but that is another blog post) and Giovanni hair care both at home and in the salon as well as Green Beaver hair care and skin care. Green Beaver is also Canadian and makes awesome SLS free toothpaste! In my salon I also carry Rustic Rootz organic skincare, lovely hand made cupcake and cake shaped soaps with body butter on top for shaving, tub teas, bath bombs and body scrubs all made with organic ingredients, essential oils and completely vegan oh and I should mention made with a lot of love in Kincardine Ontario. I also highly suggest www.theoilcleansingmethod.com and before you tell me I am crazy because oil can't possibly clean your skin and not give you pimples...TRY IT!!!! It works amazingly well and is cheap. I also have another list here from a site which gives you a few more examples of the good but do your own research and READ LABELS!!!

Companies offering alternatives

Aubrey: hair, skin and body care products

Burt's Bees: chapsticks, skin care, makeup, hair care

BWC (Beauty without Cruelty): makeup and skin care

Dr. Hauschka: skin care products

Druide bath products and hair care

Ecco Bella: makeup, skin care and bath products

Erbaviva

Giovanni: bath, hair and skin products

Juara Skincare

Lavera: makeup and skin care products

Little Forest Baby

MOP (Modern Organic Products): hair care products

Mychelle Dermaceuticals Naddara Suki Naturals

Weleda: cosmetics

Upurea has one of the largest selections of enviro-friendly skincare products sold online.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great reference list. Thanks for putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Great educational reference list. I use Rocky Mountain Soap for all my face and skin care. Also chemical free!
    I'm going to try making my own skincare with Coconut Oil.

    ReplyDelete