Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Distance, Health and Family.

Over a year ago my husband's father (my father-in-law) and his partner moved to Ecuador to retire, they did live in Vancouver on a boat prior to this so obviously an adventurous couple who enjoy their own company in small spaces. Recently Billy's father had some health issues that required surgery and he is now recuperating at home with his partner. This is difficult for them I am sure not having family nearby for support and help, it is also difficult for us too. Feeling helpless and not able to check in on him, not being able to give Shelley a break or being able to just see for ourselves the improvements. I have never met the man but he is my father-in-law and therefore by default someone very important to myself and my husband, the children and also being a long time partner to Shelley. Surgery of any type makes me nervous, medical intervention in a foreign country even more so. My own father had this surgery a few years back without telling me! I have been spending much time thinking about our fathers and their mortality, unfortunately a side effect of knowing a family member is ill. Thankfully he got the all clear and is well on the mend so now I think I can sleep better knowing that all is looking a whole lot brighter in their end if the world.

We got a notice/information pamphlet in the mail from Toronto Hydro informing us of a new billing amount and format. They are now upping the peak time price between the hours of 7am and 11am and 5pm and 9pm in the winter months is peak season and 11am and 5 pm is mid peak so the busiest times in our household for both activity and work. The difference in price is 4.4 cents per kWh during off peak, 8 cents during mid peak, 9.3 cents during peak times...WOW!!! You can bet I will be doing laundry off peak! I will also be even more diligent about lights and appliances being turned off and/or unplugged and power bars being shut off! They also installed what they call a Smart Meter which allows Hydro to record your actual consumption rather than estimated and allows the consumer to view their usage online.

The constant grey of Toronto in the winter months always gets to me, little sunshine, little greenery make for a long winter season. I start dreaming of moving elsewhere, having a nice piece of land on a lake somewhere and this winter is no exception...fingers crossed for those lottery tickets being winners!

I had a good idea for some DIY work as we still have to carpet the third floor staircase, the second floor hallway and landing but really cannot afford to have someone do it for us. The third floor staircase is tricky because they curve around and each stair is a different size and shape, I figure I can just carpet the actual stair itself with a staple gun and runner rugs cut to match the stair and paint the riser in a complimentary colour. This will allow us to have them carpeted for safety ( they are doozeys) and still look professional or well done. The hall won't be an issue for me to carpet but the landing may get tricky because of its odd shape but I am sure I can brainstorm a solution. This leaves just the trim in the bathroom to do and painting the bathroom walls to complete the renos, this would make me very happy to finally have it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment