Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Full of Thankfulness and Food...so FULL!

It is the day after the Thanksgiving weekend and I am still not hungry. We spent Sunday evening with my step-family, my step-mother's brothers and sisters and all my cousins and my brother and sort-of sister-in-law in Binbrook at my Zio and Zia's house. The food was fabulous (gotta love the Italians!) and the company was fabulous. I did not feel so uncomfortable this time around and it felt good. The kids love their cousins so much and played piano, played guitar with my father, ran around and wrassled with my brothers. They passed out in the car and stayed that way once we got home. The absence of family has really been felt on our end and it is nice to get some family back. I am VERY thankful to be a part of pack so to speak and the tensions to be melting, the attempt at friendship between my step-mother and I and breaking down some serious walls that made life difficult at times for everyone. She is afterall the only real mother I have ever consistently had and the only one who ever taught me anything in life. She is pretty great, too bad it took me so long to figure out the lessons and understand the reasoning.

The sad part on the weekend was Billy missing his father all because of a Beatles CD in the car. It sucks for him but when someone doesn't want to be part of your life you cannot force them and he has been chasing down the ideal of the 'dream father' far too long. He has never had that and never will from his father all he can do is be the dream dad to his own children. He is such an amazing dad so he has surpassed his own expectations for fatherhood and those of his own father. Life goes on and we get past these sadnesses but the thoughts always remain.

Monday we spent with Cousin Cookie and Mars at Pingle's farm in Oshawa. It was a great day even if it was chilly...the perfect fall day to be on a farm eating raspberries off the bush, rolling a wheelbarrrow around looking for pumpkins, the children picking out their own pumpkins and attempting to carry them and buying fudge and pies at the bakery. We then headed to Cookie's house to have dinner and let the children play. It was a great day and makes me appreciate having Cookie in my life.

Today is one of those days that you just want to sleep some more...boy could I use some more sleep!

This weekend I made some lemon squares and some hello dollies, the hello dollies I have made before and love them but the lemon squares were a new recipe. Next time I will lesson the amount of demerara I put in them and increase the lemon just a bit. If you want the recipes let me know they are super easy and quick!


*Cousin Cookie is actually Lisa and Mars is Marlow

1 comment:

  1. You are loved! You are my blood, my family, my soul and my big giant pain in the ass! oops that was your husband! I adore you!

    ReplyDelete