Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Oh the debate rages on...and on...and on

The news is slapping you about the head with it, your friends are all in panic and uproar, you cannot even get a coffee without the widespread panic assaulting your ears daily. H1N1 is all over the news especially with the death of a 'seemingly healthy' 13 years old boy*. I truly feel for that boy's parents, family and friends and anyone else who may have to deal with a death in the family but the flu kills 40,000 plus people a year and we are panicking about a strain that has only killed 6,000 or less? The flu or influenza does suck if you get it, body aches, chills, suffering and misery but for most people you will recover. The risk of catching the flu is high no doubt but when the risks of a vaccine so quick to come on the market have not even been assessed I simply cannot trust in it enough to risk my children's well being. I am a severe asthmatic, I fall into the high risk category and yet I will not succumb to the terror the media would have me believe is waiting to infect my body and kill me. I am at risk with any sort of flu or infection but my body does need to build up these antibodies naturally. I just cannot put faith in something just because the governing body tells me it is safe. They assume it is safe, there are no studies to verify it and the vaccine has not been available long enough to truly know the longterm effects it will have on our bodies. Not a risk I am prepared to take.



*the seemingly healthy 13 yr old boy was revealed to have asthma and a pre-existing heart condition and the other deaths related to H1N1 all had at least one underlying health issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment